Sunday 26 June 2011

a very hot walk

Today I was on voluntary ranger duty, based in  Thornton le Dale. After a brief litter pick, very little litter, and a chat about what I was doing with some appreciative visitors, I set off on a circular 6 mile walk. It got hotter and hotter, I had to cut back quite a lot of vegetation round stiles and overhanging in the woods. I only carry secateurs and a small folding saw, but it is surprising what can still be done to clear the way. Last week up on the open moor there were curlews and lapwings a plenty, but today all the birds seemed to have settled down in the trees to see out the heat. On the last lap there were some unfriendly bullocks, so I warned several dog owners coming the other way to take care; everyone said they would and was pleased with the warning, some dog owners are not always so grateful! Back in time to do another litter pick. Tomorrow I need to email the professional Rangers with details of missing signs and blocked paths, once again volunteers can only operate with professional, full time and paid back up!

No comments:

Post a Comment