Saturday 28 July 2012

off to the Olympics

We were incredibly lucky and got tickets for various Olympic events, spread over the two weeks. So we are off to Bedford and London and the Lea Valley Park, early starts, late nights and, we hope, lots of excitement.

It will be a bit of a trip down memory lane as I used to cycle round the curious world of the Bow Back Waters when I lived in Stratford. Yes, parts of it were smelly, polluted and a bit scary, but other bits had a idiosyncratic beauty, like the time I saw a swan fight a heron for a nesting site. Now it is all part of the Olympic Park, will I recognise it, I don't think so!

Loved the opening ceremony, especially the parts celebrating the NHS and when Shami Chakrabarti, Director of Liberty (of which I am a member) helped to carry in the flag. http://www.liberty-human-rights.org.uk/ Another flag bearer was that brave conductor Daniel Barenboim, of the Divan Orchestra, http://www.west-eastern-divan.org/, bringing together young musicians across the Middle East's many divisons.

No comments:

Post a Comment